This plugin allows you to resize/scale images down to your specified size, optimize and compress new and existing WordPress image uploads through CheetahO Image optimizer API. You can choose lossless or lossy optimization modes. At this moment supported filetypes are JPEG, PNG, GIF.
Smaller image sizes on your website mean faster page loads and less bandwidth usage. The faster your site loads, the more Google, Yahoo, Bing, and other search engines will like it.
You can try a quick demo here.
Also you can create a staging copy of your site using WP Staging and test it there.
Set a max width and height and large images will scale down as they are being compressed. CheetahO compresses images using a proprietary algorithm & blazing fast servers to quickly compress images & optimize images. Also cuts all the unnecessary data without slowing down your website/blog which helps to boost SEO & performance.
Get your FREE account with us
Sign up for your FREE CheetahO.com Account and try out the CheetahO image optimization tool. We suggest:
- Free 500 images every month (can buy more)
- Max file size 4 MiB (with a paid plan get more)
- API access
- Pixel-perfect optimization using innovative tools and progressive rendering.
- ONE API key for multiple sites
- Lossless or lossy optimization
- Optimization Statistics and History
- ‘Bulk’ optimize all the existing images in Media Library
- It is safe to test and use the plugin: all the original images are stored in backup folder (optional feature, you can disable it)
- Skip already optimized images
- Optimize thumbnails as well. You can also select individual thumbnails to exclude from optimization.
- Works with both HTTPS and HTTP websites
- Works with eCommerce websites using WooCommerce plugin
- ALso compatible with galleries Modula, Foo Gallery and any other galleries or sliders
- Keep or remove EXIF data from your images, compress images with lossless option. This option is great for photographers
- Able to compress JPG, PNG, GIF images
- Option to deactivate auto-optimizing images on image upload
- Able to compress WOOCOMMERCE products images.
- Images can be automatically resized before being optimized. No need to install additional plugins like Imsanity or Resize Image After Upload
- Compress/resize images even your site is not public.
- Compatible with WP Retina 2x. All retina images are automatically compressed.
- Supports Cloudflare. Purge the image automatically from CloudFlare cache after it is optimized.
- Ignore images by filtering them by patterns.
- Optimize images from custom folder.
Need more? Have a look at our plans: https://cheetaho.com/pricing/
About the plugin
- You can use your CheetahO API key on as many sites/blogs as you like. We have no per-site license.
- All images uploaded throught the media uploader are optimized on-the-fly. All generated thumbnails are optimized too.
- All images already present in the media library can be optimized individually, or using the Bulk Action.
- All optimization is carried out by sending images to CheetahO and pulling the optimized files to your WordPress installation.
- All full size images can be resized/rescaled before optimization by setting maximum width and height.
- To use this plugin, you must obtain a full API key from CheetahO panel.
Once you have obtained your credentials, from your WordPress admin, go to the settings page and there you can enter your API credentials, and select your optimization preferences. Once you have done this, click on Save. If everything is in order, it will simply say “settings saved” and give you a reassuring green tick that your credentials are valid. You can now start optimizing images from within Media Library. Any image you upload from now on, through any of the media upload screens will be optimized on-the-fly.
Features on the way
- Optimize your currently active theme.
- WordPress Multisite support.
Please send bug reports, problems, feature requests and so on to support (at) cheetaho dot com, or directly to the author of this plugin.
Connect with CheetahO.com
- Website: https://cheetaho.com/
- NextGEN Gallery support.
- PDF files optimization support.
- SVG image optimization
Any Questions or suggestions?
Contact us by email support (at) cheetaho dot com.
To install the CheetahO WordPress Plugin:
- Upload files to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Enter your CheetahO API key into the plugin settings page.
- Any images you upload from now on using WordPress’s Media Upload will be optimized according to your settings. Auto-generated thumbnails will also be optimized.
- Images already present can be optimized from within the Media Library.
CheetahO – Getting Started
Where can I get an API key?
From CheetahO panel, right here.
Can I test/use CheetahO image optimization plugin for free?
Yes you can.
Register to CheetahO and get 500 free image optimization credits each month. Exceeding the monthly free quota will pause the optimization process till the quota is reset or extended by buying one of our plans.
What happens after I optimize the 500 FREE images?
If you exhaust your free image quota, CheetahO will stop working. You will have to wait for the next month’s quota when your plan will renew.
How do the one-time plan work?
You can purchase a one-time plan for processing you images. You will pay for it only once, this is not plan subscription. This plan is recommended for websites that have a large gallery that needs to be optimized.
I want to get original images. Where is the backup folder located?
Your original images are saved in a backup folder located on your server at: /wp-content/uploads/CheetahoBackups/
How does Bulk Optimization work?
The Bulk option makes CheetahO optimize all your images at once. You can optimize your images in the Media > Bulk CheetahO section by clicking on the compress images button.
Please be patient and do not close the WordPress admin while you are rolling the bulk processing on your media gallery.
Are my images safe?
Yes. All processed files in our servers are stored only for a few hours.
What types of formats can be optimized?
For now, CheetahO supports JPEG, GIF, and PNG formats.
I can not optimize image. Got error “Requested file size too large”. How fix this?
CheetahO lets to optimize image up to 4 MB with free subscription plan. If you would like to optimize bigger files, you will need to take other plans from here
On how many websites can I use the plugin?
You can use the plugin on as many sites as you wish. The only limit is the optimization quota of your account.
Full size image resize. What is this?
You can resize/scale images by setting maximum width and height in the CheetahO settings page. CheetahO will resize only original (full size) images to a predefined size while keeping its aspect and proportions intact. The thumbnails will not be touched.
Do you have an API?
Yes, we have API. More information you can find here: https://cheetaho.com/api-documentation/
My site is DEV mode on localhost. Can I use plugin on a localhost installation?
You can not use plugin on a localhost. Your site is not public and our servers can not download images to optimize.
Can this plugin resize images?
If you choose the option to resize your images and set max with and height then the image can be resized to a predefined size while keeping its aspect and proportions intact.
Can this plugin filter images?
Yes. You can filter images by pattern. You can skip image by name or by path. Useful if you want to skip images from remote storage (for example, /alicdn/)
Do you optimize the images in cloud?
Yes, all the images are optimized in our Cloud. This takes the load off of your server and allows us to produce the best results.
Have questions or need help?
We are here to help. Contact us!
Will CheetahO work with CloudFlare?
Yes! You need to use the CloudFlare plugin or setup credentials in the CheetahO Settings page. If the credentials are correct, the plugin will automatically purge image cache from the CloudFlare when they are optimized.
Will CheetahO work with front-end image submission?
Yes if theme use native WordPress image upload functions. For example tested WPResidence theme.
Contributors & Developers
“WordPress Image Compression and Optimizer Plugin – CheetahO” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“WordPress Image Compression and Optimizer Plugin – CheetahO” has been translated into 2 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “WordPress Image Compression and Optimizer Plugin – CheetahO” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Security and maintenance release
- Update readme file
- Fix php8 notice
- Check compatibility with newest WP version
- New feature to filter images using patterns and not allow them to optimize
- New feature to select folder in WP setup and optimize images from specific folder
- Stability updates
- Test compatibility with php 8.0
- Fix image width and height php warning in image upload step.
- Implement image optimization in images edit page.
- Implement user feedback form for better understanding of what users expecting.
- Test compatibility check with newest WordPress version.
- Update some broken links.
- Small fix for original image optimization.
- Compatibility check with newest WordPress version.
- Small improvements in admin interface
- Fix performance issue when website is using woocommerce plugin
- Fix meta data on image upload
- Add some new messages for user
- Do not show button if no more need to optimize images
- Code restyle
- Add CloudFlare support
- Fix php notice
- Update readme
- Retina image optimization improvement
- Replace some code parts to WordPress native functions
- Add some additional tests
- Refactor code for better performance
- Fix clear images backup button alert popup
- Security fix
- Fix error on api key save
- Update readme
- Add missed Class
- Clean code.
- Update readme file
- Test with WordPress 5
- Fix warning which appears in php 7.2.
- Retina images support – automatically optimize retina images
- Test with WordPress 4.9.7
- Add Basic Authorization option for non public website.
- Fix bug during image resize on upload.
- Fix images list error message.
- test with WordPress 4.9.1
- Skip validation and error show durig upload files. This allow upload any file without issues.
- Image resize functionality.
- Few small user interface fixes.
- Update Readme document.
- Test With WordPress 4.9
- Fix image optimization bug then not allowed file was optimizes during file uploaded
- Update Readme document.
- Test With WordPress 4.8.1
- Update Readme document.
- Test With WordPress 4.8
- Add new screens
- Change API url.
- Test with WordPress 4.7.5 version.
- Display system error.
- Add option to keep or remove image EXIF metadata
- Test with WordPress 4.7.4 version.
- Fix old openssl issue.
- Update translations
- Fix issue when closing notice. Thanks for http://baltproekt.net/
- Remove keywords from readme
- Update readme file
- Testing with WordPress 4.7.3 version
- Fixed duplicated function issue. Thanks for https://alpakuauginimas.lt
- Add strings in translations
- Add gif images compression
- Update readme
- Testing with WordPress 4.7.2 version
- Add website logo
- Set API calls use HTTPS
- Add backup options for optimized images
- Add ‘Bulk’ images optimization
- Test with WordPress 4.7 version
- Fix thumbnails optimization during image upload
- Fix image remove when get unexpected responce
- Add extra validation for thumbnails optimization
- Test with WordPress 4.6.1
- Fix bug in construct
- Add messages for users
- Check quota and API key if is valid
- Fix bug with new added class
- Image optimization statistics block.
- Change settings page interface and add support block.
- Add setting to choose which image size you would like to optimize.
- Add redirect to settings page after plugin activation.
- Add custom image quality setting, for greater savings if you know what you’re doing.
- First version. Supports lossy and lossless optimization of JPG, PNG images.
- Hooks to Media Uploader to optimize all uploaded images, including generated thumbnails.
- Allows optimization of existing images in WordPress Media Library.